Google

Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Lob Wedge Distance (Average)

The average distance of a lob wedge, like almost all the golf clubs in your bag, is sort of difficult to determine because the distance one-person hits his lob wedge can be very different than someone else. I guess that is why it is called an average, but so many other things have to be factored in when it comes to lob wedge average distances. For example, it depends on if the golfer is performing a full lob shot, a partial lob shot, a pitch short, a chip shot, or even a bunker shot. You also have to take into consideration the lofts of lob wedges. Lob wedges come in various degrees of loft ranging from 58 degrees to 64 degrees and obviously each loft will be a different distance. Another thing to consider is whether or not we are talking about an average man’s distance or average women’s distance. Are we talking about PGA Pro’s or LPGA Pro’s, how far do they hit a lob wedge?

So you can see that to give a single answer to the lob wedge average distance inquiry is very difficult to do. Finding out average distances for golf clubs is something that a lot of people want to know about. I, for example, bought a new pitching wedge recently and I immediately went out to chart how far I could hit it. But I didn’t just come up with one yardage. I used it for multiple shots. I used a full swing, and also partial swings. I used my PW for low and high pitch shots, and I used it around the green to get the feel for chip shots, such as the bump and run. So many golf shots can be played using a lot of different clubs, and the lob wedge is no different.

Lob Wedge Hitting Tips
The thing to remember about a lob wedge is that when you are using a full swing it does not go very far. This is not a distance club because it is meant to be a short game club used from about 90 yards and in. The lob wedge is great for getting your golf ball out of deep rough and it is excellent for chips around the green especially when you need to stop the ball quickly. The high loft imparts a lot of backspin on the ball causing it to check-up very fast, with very little roll.

If you are faced with having to go over a hazard, for example, such as a bunker, a tree, or even water, the lob wedge will send the ball up and over very high and it will land softly on the green. However, there is a warning that I need to pass on about the lob wedge that some people do not know about. From experience, it is very easy to blade a lob wedge causing the ball to go sailing over the green. So please practice using this club before trying it out on the golf course. Play the ball in the middle of your stance if you are hitting a full lob shot, and you must commit to play the full shot. It is very easy to lay off on the downswing because you are so close to the green. You cannot finesse it, you must swing back fully and thru fully. This is not easy because your mind tells you that you are only a short distance away and to use a full shot seems like overkill. But it is not. The club is very high lofted and the full shot will send the ball way into the air but it will only travel a short distance forward. And if you baby it or decelerate you will no likely hit it short, landing possibly in a hazard. So again I must state that you need to practice hitting your LW, which will help you to gain confidence to use it correctly on the course.

Distances for the Lob Wedge (Ranges)
Instead of giving a single average yardage that people hit their lob wedges with a full shot, it is easier to give a distance range. I’ll start with PGA Professionals. Their full lob wedge distances are between 80 and 90 yards. The LPGA Professionals distances are 60 to 80 yards. An average golfer hits his lob wedge from 40 to 60 yards, whereas an average woman golfer tends to hit her lob wedge in the range of 20 to 40 yards.

Lob Wedge Distance Conclusion
A lob wedge (LW) can be a very effective club to have in your bag. Since most iron sets do not have a LW, you must purchase them separately. But the more wedges you have in your bag the better you will be at improving your short game. Knowing your average distance for your lob wedge is the best way to lower your score but I hope that the ranges I have provided will help you to know approximately what your lob wedge distance will be.

5 comments :

  1. I am a beginner in golf, and this helped me out, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice site Nick. Maybe you could help Padraig Harrington identify his average distances for golf clubs and help him eliminate some of those costly high numbers he's been posting when in contention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hit my LW 60 yards with a full swing. It goes higher than it does far. I would say you gave some pretty good estimations, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ATTN WEEKEND PLAYERS. DON'T GIVE UP YOUR LOB WEDGE; IT'S A SHORT GAME STROKE SAVER!
    I recently bought a 60Âșlob wedge. In my area many golf courses have practice pitching/chipping greens. I use an old Golf Logic GPS set at zero. At the practice area I took a dozen or so shots with full swings. The balls all landed within acceptable distances from each other. The GPS gave me super accurate distances of each full swing shot to the green which I averaged out. I did the same using half and three quarter swings, some chip shots and a variety of other shots. I just recorded the average distances of each kind of swing and, lo and behold, I knew what my new lob wedge would deliver just about any way I needed! In actual play the following 10 days I went three eighteen hole rounds and one nine hole round. Considering that I am an 83 year old golf nut who couldn't care less about a handicap...except for my age... well, you see what I mean! My age is enough! LOL. During one round I played with two younger, hot shots who hit their balls miles it seemed...but mostly in the woods or water. This old coot set their tails afire. If my wife wouldn't beat me up, I'd sleep with my new lob wedge! HJ In NC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it helps! Thank You. I play a Sand wedge for 50 Yards. A LW is ideal. 60-64 degree LW. The more loft the better.

    ReplyDelete